Monday, July 28, 2008

Bad Apple

When someone is introduced to new materials, whether it be a fruit, an idea, a way of life, first impressions are important. We do not choose the first impression we are given, but instead we choose how to react. I was given a bad apple. I liked the color, the smell, the beauty of this apple was spectacular. When I bit into the apple, it was sour and rotted. My reaction to this apple was all apples taste like this one. I didn't know any better. I saw everyone else eating apples, so I figured that I may grow to like the taste. After slowly eating away at this bad apple, I knew that I wouldn't eventually grow to enjoy it. So I quit eating apples all together. I forgot the sweet smell, the vibrant color, and the true beauty. My friends, who were also eating bad apples and then quit eating them, came to me recently. They began eating apples again. They told me that just because I ate that one bad apple, it shouldn't stop me from eating another. I should reach in with faith into another barrel of apples, select one, and take a huge bite. I began to ask myself, is it really worth not eating apples ever again, just because of the first apple I took a bite out of? I want to take another bite of a different apple, but I am scared. I am scared of the temptation, the seductiveness of all apples, afraid I might bite into another rotted apple. I haven't took a bite out of one yet, but I am contemplating the idea, which is more I can say of myself a year ago. I know I need the fruit to survive and I am watching myself dwindle away because I have refused to eat another one. I refuse to refuse any longer.

1 comment:

I.Am.Spoken.Word. said...

its a scary thing.
and i've bitten into a sour apple since the first one.

but i can't give up.
i'll die if i do.
so happy to see that you're blogging. you will find that it is one of the sweetest avenues of therapy.
love you.